Sunday, December 10, 2006

Seals, Penguins, and Skuas! Oh My!

I know I've been really, really lazy about this blog folks. I'm sorry, but since I switched to night shift it's been very hard to get into a computer. Now I have access to the wireless network at Crary Lab and I'll be able to keep up a lot better.
The biggest thing I have to report right now is that the fringe benefits of working at the lab are finally starting to kick in. Last week I got to go to Cape Royds, normally off limits, under the guise of a diver retrieving some instruments. Little did the paperwork know that 14 members of the Crary Science Support Staff (including the janitors) were going to 'help' Rob get the current sensors out from under the ice. As many of you don't know, Cape Royds is the historic point where Sir Ernest Shackleton set up camp for his 'Nimrod' expedition and several of his men spent the winter. It was also the headquarters of his attempt at reaching the South Pole when he got to within 100 miles, but had to turn back or die. Of course, the visiting politians stole the key to the hut, so we didn't get to go inside. But that didn't bother most of us too much, because right outside the hut is a colony of 1500 Adelie Penguins! Without further ado, here is what you all have been waiting for: pictures of penguins.
This little guy was the first penguin ever laid eyes on

Looking Stoic and Cute at the Same time?

Crary Lab Janitorial Staff aka the J-Crib (pictured in front of Bairn Glacier Shelf)

Here's a video of one little guy trying to decide when to jump.


Here's me in front of three seals.

Crary Science Support Staff

More Penguins

Just a-froliking

Taryn the Day Jano tries to win the photo contest of the Telluride Daily Planet Newspaper














The colony is protecting the eggs they have laid and the chicks that have hatched, but this dastardly skua waits for an opportune moment.

The fenced in area you see in several photos is how the research team studies the foraging habits of the animals. A known number of breeding pairs have been fenced in and implanted with RFID chips. The 'Penguin Ranch' has only one entrance and exit, and whenever an animal enters or exits, a computer reads which individual it is and the animal steps on a presice scale. This enables the beakers to figure out which penguins are eating and how much. It also gives them insight into whether the male or female does more foraging and when. Anyhow, it's about my bed time, so I'll leave you with the promise that it won't be two months before my next entry.
Take care!

9 comments:

sunkissed said...

hi jesse. was just blog hopping. the penguins are so amusing! after watching march of the penguins and happy feet, i've been so fascinated by them. think warm thoughts! it would be a great experience to do research over there.

Anonymous said...

It's about time. The video was bad ass. I'll think of you when I'm freezing my ass off at the yurt next weekend.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed your call today, esse...but I very much enjoyed the message. Call me soon, it's been too long. That video is really genius, as is the picture of the girl trying to win the contest. Solid journalism, gumshoe...stick with it.

Anonymous said...

Man, I was starting to think maybe the penguins ate you or something. I miss you!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Very cool Jesse! I love the penguins . . . of course. You are awesome. Much love sarah and miah

Anonymous said...

Hey, boy! Penguins are awesome! Can't believe your standing there in your shirt sleeves. How many times does a mother have to say, "Put on your jacket!". You'll freeze your eye out! Particularly missing you right now but sooo glad to see a new posting. Your sister will be here in three days. Love you and your furry face! Mom

Anonymous said...

Jesse! Fabulous to chat with you at 3-somthing-in the-morn. Hopefully I wont be up that late again to do it again anytime soon, no offense. I'm still lovin the penguins but you know...it looks like a lot of ice. I suggest heading to warmer climate as soon as possible. Fiji is nice this time of year. How cold is it getting at night (since you're working the late shift and all)? keep rolling! Let us know if you need anything to hold you over until the end of your tenure. --tilleman

Anonymous said...

dude. all you need is morgan freeman and you have yourself a blockbuster......miss you.......love, mikaela.

(i suppose it's against the rules to chase them and pet them and stuff.....too bad)

Anonymous said...

PENGUINS
ARE
AWESOME.
im sending you a wedding invitation so you can have a taste of what you'll be missing out on.
oh and
we want a penguin for our wedding present.
thanks
love you
kelly