Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Ice Madness Sets in.....

Well, folks, I think I can say that I might just be getting used to life here on the ice. Today I jumped at the opportunity to have fresh green beans and even though they were mediocre-ly prepared they tasted like heaven nonetheless.
Today was a truly beautiful day and I tried to take some pictures around the base to quell the thirst of those who actually wanted to see pictures of where I live. So we'll start with my 'Cave,' my quarter of our 4-person room. It wasn't clean for this, but I had my camera on hand so here it is. I'm awfully proud of the set-up that came to me in a dream:
Here is my office area on top of my bed. The bed has adjustable height so I put it at top level and put my computer and stuff on top and then!











Put my hammock up underneath! Genius! If I could only get a few more inches I could put my mattress on the floor under the hammock, but until I get up to the carpenter shop and steal some 4x4 blocks, I'll just sleep in the hammock.









Well, I have a bunch more pictures, but either my computer is being stupid or blogger is being stupid, and won't let me load any more pictures. I'll get them up soon enough. But at least you get to see my badass cave. I'll write you all some letters from my elevated office.
Sarah! Send the shoes ASAP and they'll get here on first flight. But even if you're late, there'll be several planes coming in at a pretty regular intervals.
Mom! I'd love to bring your friend some sand, but keep in mind that it is illegal. That said, we ship about 2 metric tons of sand to california after me and my co-workers sweep it off the floor every year as trash! So I spose I can manage to scrape a few grains for him. The coffee bar is another name for 'Wine Bar,' we have about 6-8 wines on hand, as well as several liqeurs to mix with coffee, like amaretto, bailey's, jameson's whiskey, and peppermint schnapps for the hot chocolate. It is where I'm writing this now. It has a little more of a laid back ambiance than the other two bars. Southern Exposure is the smoking bar, it is the most like a 'real' bar that we have here, it's smelly and the bartenders are surly. Gallagher's is a lot slower (at least for now until we triple our population in Oct.) and it has the burger bar, the other place I work. That's where Bingo, Karaoke, et cetera take place. If I get the photos, that's also the place you can see me going crazy at the "beach party" we had a while back.
Well, lapotop's runnin out of juice, I better sign off while I can still post this when I get done.
Jesse

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pad man. I got your message the other night too, I was working. Back at the Dough. watched all three episodes on monday. The last two were the first season with Q. First time Picard saw the Enterprise. It was sweet. Will and I are about to go for a drive, later.

Anonymous said...

Will and Eric go for lots of drives these days. Not sure yet if we should be concerned about their shinanigans or not.

Just something to ponder while waiting for it to thaw...

Anonymous said...

You'd think those 1000 people would have some pretty interesting stories while the enterprise goes into some kind of spiraling free-orbit. There's gotta be loads of puke to clean up, so of course ther're janitors. Unfortunatley, every time ol' Gene Roddenberry and his elite staff of writers try to include these adventure-mooching souls, it's a really lame episode. But I'm sure the ice holds far more adventures for it's janitors than cleaning up vomit. Enjoy!